Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Adiós Mexican Restaurants: Bacteria in Salsa

You ever hear something mentioned on the news but you fall asleep before it came on? I am famous for that.  The other day my local news was talking about bacteria in salsa. I tried to watch it but I missed it and really hadn’t thought that much of it again.  But I get to work today and there’s an email going around about that broadcast.  The reporters go to five local Mexican restaurants and get samples of their salsa to test it for bacteria. Keep in mind I frequent 3 out of the 5 they went to. So they send the samples off to the lab to get tested and they are saying that the levels in the salsa were more than what they should be. They then tell you  about the restaurant with the least count of bacteria and of course it’s one of the restaurants I don’t go to. And the one with the most count, eww, it’s the one right across the street from my job that I go to the most!  Yuck! The crap that I can’t even type without getting sick, that they said was in there has the “potential to cause infection.” The article explained that we should expect some bacteria in the salsa, but bacillus species, leifsonia aquatic, pantoea agglomerans, streptococcus intermedius, and Streptococcus species are very scary and gross. 

I love Mexican food.  Matter of fact when I was dieting after my youngest, chips and salsa was my favorite low fat snack.  Ok maybe I wasn’t getting fat, but what else was I getting?

No comments:

Post a Comment